Dont Buy Grizzly Tools

Jul 01, 2012
review #328627

We recently bought nearly $7,000 worth of tools from Grizzly.com for our wood shop in Los Angeles.When we purchased the tools they took the money out of our bank account twice which left us $7,000 in the hole until it was returned 4 days later.

Than when the tools arrived, one of the machines, a 15" Planer worked for 15 minutes than stopped.

I called Grizzly and waited 2 days for a Supervisor to call me back, which never happened. I had to call a machine tech to come look at the machine and diagnose the problem which turned out to be a bad motor. That service cost me $250 out of pocket which Grizzly "does not cover" although every other competitor does especially on a brand new machine .

I called Grizzly back again and after 30 minutes of nearly yelling at the service agent who told me there were none available, finally I was given a Supervisor who told me that they could send me out a new motor, but the cost to install it, another $300 plus would be my responsibility.Than 20 minutes later he called me back and told me they did not have any more of those motors to send and that I would have to send the machine back to Washington State and be refunded, and although they would cover the return shipping, I was responsible for packing the machine as it was shipped and after they looked at it they would decide on a refund.

6544d65
0.5
Had an experience with Grizzly Tools?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
longtimewoodworker

Jul 04

I purchased my first Grizzly tool, a bandsaw, in about '93. Still use it and have purchased many tools since that time - table saw, 20" planer, 24" drum sander, shaper, jointer, etc. When the jointer arrived, the base was dented. Sent in a picture of the damage and received a new base. My experience with Grizzly has been very positive, especially considering the price paid.

shu

Jul 03

Same problems that I am having with Grizzly.. Drum sander that I bought does not work properly because of bad engineering. I offered to exchange machine and purchase different equipment. I dealt with this on three different occasions over months. The same thing each time, the csr rep said he would take it to supervisor and they would get back with me. The first two times they didn't get back, the last time the csr sent me an email after three weeks waiting on decision, with the same old run around and no decision. They wanted me to pack and ship the 800 pound boat anchor and return it before they could determine what to do...

Joe

Jul 03

Please use correct composition when slamming a company......it makes you out to be an ***, just spouting out.

traveler

Jul 01

I am not affiliated with Grizzly in any way, but I have purchased three entire woodshops worth of tools from them over the years (first time was back when they opened their original store near Pittsburgh some 30 years ago). I've moved a couple times and it's just easier IMO to order new tools rather than take them all with me.
That being said, I think they're ideal if you are moderately handy. Obviously you need to assemble them and adjust/calibrate. And if something is wrong/broken etc you need to call them for advice (frankly all of this would be true no matter who you buy from…I've also had a Jet shop and got a $1500 table saw with a screwed up arbor assembly). I've had only minor issues in general, and they were always extremely pleasant to deal with…any parts needed being shipped immediately, and installation instructions were offered to make the substitution. (btw, I agree with the one guy who said he has gone through a number of magnetic switches…for a while they were having trouble with them, but in my experience have since upgraded and the problem solved…and even before, in most cases they sent me replacements for free even a year later. I think it's how you talk to them!)
One needs to be aware that virtually all woodworking equipment is coming from the same few sources, and are all clones of each other. There is room for more or less quality (different switches, bearings, auxiliary equipment etc) but it comes to what you pay and what you get…and no
... Show more

Larry K

Jun 09

I have several grizzly tools: table saws, planer, shapers, jointers, power feeder and dust collectors. Only once have I had a problem with a new item (handle broken in shipping). I called, it was replaced, no questions asked, ASAP! I could not have been happier.
If you are purchasing, be ready for a degree of assembly. Yes, assembly can be a pain but you are saving a lot of money. The instructions are easy to follow and you will have a better understand how to properly adjust your equipment. If you are concerned that you are not up to the task of assembly, go to the Grizzly website and look at the instructions for the equipment that you are considering purchasing.
You can also contact Grizzly for references, customers that have purchased the equipment you are looking at. I have never contacted them for references but it is worth a try.
Grizzly also has some useful how to videos on their web site.
Overall I am very happy with my Grizzly tools and I like my Grizzly sliding table shaper much better than my Delta shaper.
I do not work for Grizzly, I make this post of my own free will.

anonymous

Jun 06

Grizzly labeled products are hit or miss, nothing sold thru them is outstanding, but is a step above Harbor Freight. People should not "protect" Grizzly because they were fortunate enough not to have a dud of a piece of machinery sold to them & should just count themselves lucky. Grizzly customer service is among the worst I have ever experienced as I am in customer service at my job and can compare what we offer in the way of professionalism. Also, like most companies, the higher you go up the chain, the more ignorant they become. Grizzly makes money in spite of themselves and their lack of customer service. If one of these supporters gets screwed by Grizzly, they'll sing a different tune all together.

Cloud

Apr 09

I purchased a Grizzly G0703 Dust Collector and hoses to hook up to the machine and my planer. None of the hoses will fit the port on the dust collector or my G1037Z planer. The inside diameter of the hoses are smaller than the input port of the dust collector and the output port of the planer. After struggling for hours how to get the hoses on, and not having success, I called Grizzly and talked to 2 different tech support people. They had no solutions except to tell me to maybe grease the hoses to install them. The hoses are under sized and absolutely will not fit regardless of what I do. So, something as basic as installing a hose will not work. I have no way of using this dust collector, can't even see how well it works, when you can,t find a hose from them to fit. I consider it a piece of junk now. Would not recommend anything from this company.

JJ Design Rustics

Feb 09 Junction City, Oregon

CS with any company can be a pain. Myself however have Grizzly equipment, which I'm happy with. I put a lot of miles on them and have to repair and maintain my planer, band saw and table saw to mention a few. I had issues with my 14" band saw right outa the box. No problems getting my parts and fixing them myself. It gets you familiar with your equipment. It's also how you communicate with CS too.

dt

Jan 06

I bought a G5769 brake and found out 3 days later they dropped the price $100.00. I called to see if I could get an adjustment and they said no way even though I didn't even have the tool yet when they lowered the price. (in was in shipment) thats a lot for your support Grizzly! :(

buffaloed

Dec 09, 2013

I won't buy grizzly any more either. Bought a chainsaw sharpener, it didn't work out of the box. I had to contact them multiple times and finally gave up. A week later they contacted me saying they would (within another week) ship me what they thought was the defective part, and I would have to fix it myself. Their customer service was awful- I wanted to throttle someone. I have read other reviews to the contrary, but they couldn't have been dealing with the same people I did.

Drewie

Nov 20, 2013

Bought a heavy duty drill from grizzly as they said. Haha in no time it was burning up,sent it back. They returned it said it was great no problem. I thru in the garbage it smelled lie it was going to start a fire and was hot as ***. I have a very had time purchasing anything from the any more.

Stu

Nov 01, 2013

Bought a Grizzly 6" jointer. When I turned it on, after spending 2 hrs. with installation, it just about walked across the floor. Problem was a bent shaft on the cutter head. I called CS Friday at 5:30 pm and was told everyone left at 5 (they don't close until 6) and no tech could help me nor would they return a phone call on Monday. I email CS with the problem pointing out all the parts I would need. CS returned my email asking me to give them the same info I stated in my email. It was computer generated, but no one apologized. Yes, they sent me the parts and after I installed the replaced spindle and it worked fine but it's a bit loud. They assume everyone is a mechanic and can/must do the repairs themselves. They have lousy quality control but at least they stand by the manufacturers errors. Good price but I'd consider another manufacturer before I bought from them again.

CHRIS

Sep 10, 2013 Knoxville, Tennessee

The story about the grizzly planer is not true. I had a similar situation happen with my 20 inch grizzly planer. The motor was not bad, but he start capacitor was bad. The service tech was very helpful, and sent me the part at no charge. It was then that I installed the capacitor, because I understand that if I want to use a piece of equipment, I must be able to service and keep maintenance on it. Otherwise, I would have to pay someone else for their labor. If you are incapable of performing maintenance, do not complain about being charged for a technician to doCHRIS their job.

pirochief

Aug 20, 2013

I got a oscillating spindal sander for christmas and when I opened the box all the plastic parts were broken. The box it self had NO dents, holes or tares in it which only means somebody broke it at the factory and boxed it anyway. When I called they basically accused me of breaking it but agreed to give me my money back. It took me over 6 weeks to get my money back. I will never buy Grizzly again. :(

The Woodsmith

Jul 31, 2013 Wolcott, Vermont

Wow! some angry Lads...
Look for the ISO machines and you won't go wrong.
Grizzly has worked more than well for me.

Toolman

Jul 24, 2013 Scarborough, Ontario

I am surprised by the lack of sympathy here. If the same thing happened to anyone of us I am sure we might be a little upset as well. A lot of tool companies are more concerned with selling tools and don't want to see you again until you are ready to buy more. Customer service has gotten worse over the years and not just Grizzly. As long as we keep importing junk from China we will continue getting junk. Like the saying goes you get what you pay for. Not many of us are willing to shell out twice the price to buy locally made products even if they were available.

CHRIS

Sep 10, 2013 Knoxville, Tennessee

Grizzly does not manufacture their product in China. They manufacture in an ISO 9001 factory in Tiwan, under strict supervision and specification of American foreman and supervisors.

Jul 08, 2013 Chesterfield, Missouri

If you talked to me the way you say you talked to them I wouldn't worry too much about your problem either. I understand your frustration but the company that is selling the product didn't produce the product. I saw several comments on here about being American made. Well I am all for that but trying to buy American is pretty hard to do. Everything is being made over seas. I buy things with American names but when I look at them closely they are from China. The Grizzly employees
that I have always dealt with have been more than willing to help me. I am sure that if you wanted to return your machine they would take it back and issue you a full refund. I don't understand what your expectations are but then again the things that I have bought from them have always worked very well. I hope you get over being upset because I like their products and I would hate to see them go out of business because they lost you as a customer.

tupapaau

Jun 21, 2013 Los Angeles, California

I am a boat carpenter in Los Angeles, working on high end yachts. I have a griz occilating spindle sander, mortise machine and lathe. Have had them for many years and never a problem.

fatwilly

Jun 17, 2013 Dayton, Ohio

Shop Fox tools aren't much better. You'll find the tools from both companies are made in the same foundries in China and they change the spec anytime they want. I bought a stationary mortising machine from Shop Fox ( Grizzly sells an identicle one only painted green) The journal for the chisels was listed as 1-1/8" with sleeves to fit 3/4" and 5/8" chisels. When I unpacked the machine. there was no user manual nor parts list and my 1-1/8" chisels shanks were too big to fit. After I check the journal with a mic, I found it was 17/1000 smaller than the 1-1/9" it was supposed to be. Shop Fox customer service informed me that machine had been discontinued but wouldn't tell me why....yeah, I know, crappy machining. Getting refund will be tough. I bought it from Meuller in Cincy and they are willing to give me a refund. My only options besides returning it are have the head milled to 1-1/8" and then have two adapter sleeves made. Grizzly's machine has the same defect.

Showing 1-20 of 53 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Grizzly Tools.
Filing a new complaint about
×